"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Twas the week before Christmas - Day 5

"Christmas is forever, not for just one day, for loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away like bells and lights and tinsel, in some box upon a shelf. The good you do for others is good you do yourself..." 
~Norman Wesley Brooks


What says the magic of Christmas better than glass, silver and candlelight? 

Place a cloche filled with pearl look and silver ornaments onto a glass cake stand for instant elegance. 

Silver reindeer and wire tree on a tray of various mercury glass ornaments and tea light holders adorn the dining room table. By using a large tray for the arrangement, it can be easily moved when dining. 

6 comments:

Rowan said...

More lovely and elegant ideas. You are right about silver,glass and candlelight look magical together. I shall have to keep an eye for for a glass cloche ready for next year:)

Sonja said...

Oh how I love the way you decorate your house! All the details are so cosy. (allemaal van die leuke kleine dingen). Heel gezellig!

Deborah said...

I am loving these posts! The pictures are really beautiful. Any chance you can come to my house? I could use your help in the decorating department.

Ginny said...

Beautiful! Your home seems so restful and elegant. Maybe someday mine will be the same, but for now, I savor what I have. (What I really need to do is purge, getting rid of things I'm not totally in love with, looking at things with fresh eyes, or rather with one eye on what spray paint can do!)

Anonymous said...

You do such a beautiful job on both decorating and photography.

Vicki said...

Heidi, you are constantly inspiring me with ideas. I love the idea of putting things on a tray, to easily move from place to place. Very practical. I love candlelight but I confess a bit of fear of burning candles. I wish it wasn't so. We never had them in the house; I think Mother was afraid we'd knock them over. As an asthmatic, I couldn't take the smokey smell or scents. Also, there was a time when my father smoked, and I'd climbed up a tall bookcase to get to his lighter/matches, burned my little fingers by accident and I believe my parents put a fear of fire into me that has never left me (I was a sensitive child!). Now, I have numerous candlesticks/holders...love them!...and nice beeswax/smokeless candles. There they sit. When my living room is ever "done" from remodeling, there is a fireplace which is inactive, and I'm thinking I could safely burn them in that cavity, enjoying the wonderful glow which can only come from candlelight. After all, we need to overcome our fears!