"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Monday, December 19, 2011

Twas the week before Christmas - Day 2

Central to most Christmas decorating is the tree. Last year, I told you about deciding that I was not going to set up my big Victorian style tree any longer. You can read about it here. My mother had bought me a black pencil pine tree for my bobbinlace ornaments a year ago. I make a couple each year. They were not showing up well on a green tree but come out nicely on the black tree.


This tree is set up in no time. I took some white or cream, mercury glass and silver ornaments from my old tree to add to my own handmade lace ornaments. The lace stands out well and I enjoy remembering making the lace.


This pencil pine was the perfect tree for the antique tree stand I found at a flea market in Germany when on vacation a year ago.


I do miss my big tree but am glad that I have a tree that is set up in about an hour instead of two days. As I write to you, I am looking at the glowing lights in my tree this evening which make my lace really stand out and am happy with the changes this year.


I find the words of Norman Vincent Peale ring true...

"Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful."

10 comments:

Nancy said...

You tree looks very nice. The lace really does show up on the black tree. I remember thinking WHAT when you said you wanted a black tree. It is really nice. That tree stand
is so pretty too.
Love you, Mom

Rowan said...

Your tree is very pretty and I really love that antique tree stand. You are very talented and patient to be able to make lace, I've never tried because when I've watched it being done it's obvious that it takes a long time and a great deal of skill. So I shall just admiore yours:)

MoonBeam said...

That lace piece is wonderful!

Unknown said...

I've never heard of a pencil pine tree or a black tree, but it really works for the lace which is beautiful. I've never tried making lace is it difficult? That tree stand is amazing. I've doing a smaller tree too, but not that small. The big tree was just getting to be too much for me. Another great idea from you. Thanks.

Deborah said...

Your lace ornaments are truly beautiful.

Willy said...

Prachtige boom en versiering Heidi. Die standaard past er perfect bij.
Lieve groet

Annie said...

"....everything is softer and more beautiful"... particurlarly in your home, Heidi !

Susan in SC said...

I have a small tree as well Heidi and I love it. It is so much easier to put up and take down. Since I live in a tiny home, I have to save space where I can! I love your tree and lace. Very pretty!!

Melanie said...

Your lace ornaments are amazing - I've never seen anything like them! You should set up an etsy shop and sell some of your gorgeous handiwork. :-)

And that tree stand is honestly the prettiest tree stand I've ever seen. You'd never see something like that in the US. Merry Christmas to you and Jos!

Anonymous said...

The tree - the stand - the lace ornaments - gorgeous!