"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Twas the week before Christmas - Day 1

I have been neglecting my blogs. It has been a very busy time for me with a visit from my mother for two weeks followed by my annual Christmas party for my quilt group and a day of teaching a friend how to crochet a cowl. Then I just needed some rest. But now I am going to do a daily blog post leading up to Christmas. This the first post as Christmas is only one week away. How did that happen? 2011 has flown by for me...anyone else?


This is a make do project as I use what I already have in my Christmas decorations to make my mirror festive. This can also be done to a picture in your home as well as a mirror.

I used faux green, berries, ribbon and cord, pinecones, a brass horn and Merry Christmas paper ribbon.


Attach the faux green to the top of the mirror. Be sure it is very secure as it will mean the arrangement stays securely on the mirror top later as it is decorated. I wound a piece of the green to the hook behind the mirror.


Start with your center piece. Add a bow and attach to the green. You can use many items you have among your Christmas decorations.


Wrap wire around the pinecones and then wrap around the berries. Stick into the green wrapping a green branch around the berries. Try and keep your piece balanced to be sure your mirror stays straight. Now wind cord among the branches while allowing it to drape on the sides. You could also use a wide ribbon for this. Last, place a greeting like my paper ribbon resting it into the faux green.


This takes only moments to put together and creates an instant festive look.

See you again tomorrow for the 2nd day.....

12 comments:

Nancy said...

I cannot believe Christmas is only a week away. I am NOT ready. I just got a package ready for Arizona and have to hope mailing it priority tomorrow will get it there on time.
Your mirror looks so pretty, I like seeing the tree in it too.
We had a wonderful time and great food while visiting you. That too went too fast.
Have a good week, at least I know your presents are there.
Love you, Mom

Rowan said...

Glad I'm not the inly one who has been neglecting their blog:) I love your mirror decoration, it looks really pretty.

Pondside said...

That's very pretty - and the sweet mirror is, of course, the perfect base!

Used-to-Bees said...

It's hard to do it all at this time of year - I'm another person who hasn't been finding time to blog much lately. Your mirror decoration looks lovely!
x

Willy said...

Sfeervolle kerstversiering en de header is ook zo mooi. Ik zie ook een hele mooie slanke kerstboom op de achtergrond.
Fijne week, groetjes

Anonymous said...

I love your mirror decoration! Just a little goes a long way to make such a transformation. I got your comment about the Christmas banner. Thank you! Looking forward to your next postings.

Unknown said...

Thanks for showing us how to do this. I've always wanted to do something like this. I think I thought I had to have fresh greens but yours looks great.

Susan in SC said...

Very pretty Heidi!!

Deborah said...

Beautiful mirror is beautiful and no, I am not quite ready yet.

Ginny said...

I was hoping you would share some of your Christmas decorations. This is beautiful! Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

I'm also glad you're sharing some of your decorations. I wish I had a lovely mirror like that to work with.

Annie said...

Happy to read you again, Heidi. I'm looking forward to read all your Christmas posts !