"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Thursday, October 27, 2011

For the love of pumpkins!

I love autumn! I love pumpkins! I love to look at them and to eat things made with them. Pumpkins make me smile inside...

If you read my blog regularly, you know I have a tray that I use as a stove top cover. I would love to have one like this but have decided that I will have to try making one if I am going to get one. And that works with my Make do philosophy this year. Don't tell Jos but he is going to help me make one. *wink*

In the meantime, I decorated my tray with things of the season. A pumpkins placed in a tipped over clay flower pot, some silk autumn leaves, a piece of lace, an iron acorn napkin ring and some berries. I even added a pumpkin Trick or Treat magnet this week for Halloween.

I have pumpkins on quilts I have made...

On stitching I have done...

In the garden...

This year, I had a pumpkin vine in my garden. We had a cloudy and rainy summer so each time a blossom was on the vine, it rotted away. I was sure I would not have any pumpkins until Jos came in and called me out to the garden. He found one little pumpkin peeking out behind our bench. It is small but I cut it off the vine and it sits now with its big brother which I bought at a pumpkin farm.

Yes, pumpkins made me smile inside!

Note to Vicki - Thank you so much for your comment on this previous post. I am not able to email you in return but hope that you will see this on my blog. You are correct that I have diagnosed with an eye disease. I am feeling very hopeful that the disease will not progress to much farther while it is in the active stages. I am not done using my eyes yet. *grins* Thank you for your words of encouragement.

13 comments:

Betty Lou said...

I wish fall would last longer and there would be 61 days in October. Love your projects.

Nancy said...

Ahhhhhhh, such a cute little pumpkin you grew. I know you will try again next year too. Maybe you will have a big pumpkin patch someday and Charlie Brown will visit. LOL.
Love you, Mom

Deborah said...

Love all the fall items. The quilt is really beautiful.

Unknown said...

I love pumpkins too. I like to buy some of the sugar pie ones and cook and freeze the meat. It tastes so much better than canned. I don't have the room to grow my own.You quilt and needlework are very cheerful and fallish. It's my favorite season, which I think is true for a lot of people.

Jenny said...

Pumpkins are one of the things in life that bring smiles and joy....every year they work same magic....grins....I love the little pumpkin that you grew in your garden, he is just too cute.....We have grown pumpkins over the years as well, mostly when the kids were little....anyway one year we had such a huge pumpkin we had to wheel it out to the front porch because we could not carry it... it was way to heavy...lol ...we kept him all the way through Christmas that year because my two little ones said he worked so hard to grow so big we just had to let him be....anyway, I love your pumpkin stitching and quilt but does that really surprise you? I always love the things you make...such an inspiration my friend. I think of you every day and hope you are having a good day...Hugs from CA.

Ginny said...

Have you shown the pumpkin quilt before? It's lovely.

Vicki said...

Thank you for your "note," Heidi. It was good to hear your thoughts. I think you're special. And I love your pumpkins! We've never had much luck growing them in the home garden here; however, we have a nearby farm which grows a wonderful pumpkin patch each year and one of my favorite photos is of my husband holding our black cocker spaniel on his lap while sitting on a huge, bright orange pumpkin with the vivid blue sky as a backdrop above the farm's big, red barn. Our trees, where I live in California, don't normally turn until later in November and they seem to be mostly transplants brought out from Eastern and Midwestern settlers earlier in my town's history because they're not indigenous. But I do see some oranges and yellows; so lovely when backlit by the sun, which is now setting so much earlier in the evening. It seems we all love the colors, scents and flavors of fall/autumn. I do remember in school, as children, how fun it was to gather dried leaves and make a bouquet; and to study U.S. history and lore, of the "Plymouth Rock" pilgrims who shared a meal of thanksgiving with the first Native Americans.

One thing for sale at this time of year with the pumpkin varietals is the confetti-colored corn on the cob, so pretty in dried-flower/gourd arrangements. I want to get in the mood for harvest days and cooler weather but we are plagued with hot, dry winds when so many other people are wearing their sweaters and making a fire for the hearth.

Now, if only I could find a low-calorie pumpkin bread to bake! A fast-food restaurant is also featuring a pumpkin milkshake!

Karena said...

Heidi....hello I am a new follower just found your blog ...I like so many things on this post...your pumpkin with berry garland..love that garland..then the sampler you made ...but most of all I admire growing pumpkins on your own...I've never tried that...thanks for sharing...I'll be back soon

Karena A Loblolly Life

onlymehere said...

Loving your love of pumpkins! I do love fall and agree with Betty Lou that it should last much longer. Trees are losing their leaves like crazy right now and it's so beautiful. I need to make a drive up through the canyon to get the full effect before they're gone!

Anonymous said...

My husband used to grow pumpkins and it was a battle trying to get them before the groundhogs did. Love all of your pumpkins - stitched, quilted and real.

Annie said...

Dear Heidi, I like the way you write "pumpkins make me smile". I think it's the same for me : i like them i my garden and...in my plate and every where they can be ; your quiilt, your embroidery and your pumpkin are gorgeous ! I was so happy to be in U.S during Fall : I could see a lot of them !

MoonBeam said...

I, too, absolutely love pumpkins and Autumn. Decorating with pumpkiny things makes the home homier, I think.

Happy Fall.

Bobbi

Rowan said...

I love pumpkins too and that pumpkin quilt you have made is just beautiful. I like the cross stitch piece too, is it a Prairie Schooler design?