"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Monday, August 15, 2011

Make do and mend Mondays

This Monday is a smorgasbord of items for my Make do and Mend...

By our front door, we have a tiny little recess in the brickwork. It has been hard to find anything we could put in this after as most things are too large. One day, I was looking out at the items we either need to start using or sell on to others. It finally struck me that this candle holder might just work in the space. I had accidentally broke the glass that belonged with it when I was trying to pry a melted candle out of the thin glass tube. I knew I could never find another glass tube but thought I could use a flower pot in the ring holder. As I started looking for a flower pot, I realized that I had this vase (a gift from a friend and very thick glass) that looked narrow enough to work in the ring. It was a perfect fit and I could make do with things I already had. Look around your house as you probably have more than you think...

Jos has been on spray can duty for me once again. If I start to do anything with spray paint he comes and takes over. *grins* We have an ugly house number at Cranberry Cottage. It is metal and was looking rather worse for wear. I thought why not spray paint it in black. As it is cemented to the bricks, we placed newspaper over the brick and got started...

A primer coat and two coats of black later, it looks so much better. These are not great photos so my apologies. My camera battery was dead and I did not have my charger with me so Jos took them with his phone.

This project was an inspiration from a good friend's Make do post. Tammy had a hook that was a color that stood out too much on her front door. As soon as I saw her post, I knew I had to take it as inspiration. I have a metal hanger for wreaths/baskets for my front door. My door is black so this really stands out!

Two coats of black spray paint and you see the hook no more...

10 comments:

Deborah said...

I love your make do Mondays. Everything looks great.

onlymehere said...

It looks like it was bought specifically for that spot! The letter spray painting looks great too. I enjoy these Monday posts. I just shipped off a quilt to the quilter's that's supposed to be a king but I messed it up and after six years finally finished it in my own way for a full-size bed. I'm happy with it so far and hope the quilting makes it even cozier! I took it to a new quilter who's running a 1/2 price special as she tries to get a client based built. I figured what better quilt to give someone a chance at?! I'll let you know how it comes out.

Used-to-Bees said...

Your black paint transformations look great, and I love your door! The candle holder looks perfect there - looks like it was made to measure!
x

Unknown said...

Heidi, your make do & mend Mondays are so inspiring! If I find it, I think I will paint my Christmas wreath hook to match my front door - so no more white hook on the red door. hmm might paint the door at the same time to refresh it.

Elizabethd said...

What a beautiful door you have, Heidi. The hook certainly seems better with a coat of paint!

Susan in SC said...

Ah, love my spray paint projects! These are all very nice. Great job!

Anonymous said...

The spray painting projects are two that I could use immediately.

Annie said...

As usual, everything is nice !

Nancy said...

Very good work of making old things new. Everything looks really good that you did. Keep thinking up new ideas and keep Mr. Jos busy. hahaha.
He likes these projects, no money involved.
Love you, Mom

DonnaTN said...

3 great re-do's. It is a great feeling to find just what you need to make something work without having to spend lots of money.