"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Monday, June 13, 2011

Make do and mend Mondays

This week it is mend and then make do project...


Jos is really proud of the fact that he did the Make do and Mend this week. We have spent this long holiday weekend here in Holland very busy working in the garden. While working on another project, I mentioned I thought it was time to throw out a very broken garden rack. It is wooden and just literally was in pieces.

He decided he was going to mend it right then and there! Some of the wooden pins had broken off. He carefully drilled them out and had to search for something that was the exact same size. It ended up that a bolt he had was the perfect size so he sawed it in the correct lengths for the pins to be replaced.

Before I knew it, we could start to make do with things we had to decorate a corner of the garden.

I placed items I already had on each shelf...



It is nice to not have a heap of broken wooden shelves laying around but now a rack to add a nice touch to the terrace.

What about you? Have you found anything to make do and mend in your home?

10 comments:

Nancy said...

Well, sort of, with your idea. I had some dollhouse furniture in the basement not being used. You gave me the idea to make a little room in the upside down planting rack in the yard.
I will show pictures on my blog soon.
Tell Jos the only thing missing is his picture. That shelf looks fantastic. Good job Jos. What will your next weeks project be????? Waiting to see.
Love Mom

Elizabethd said...

That looks like a picture from Country Living, Heidi!

Deborah said...

Lovely display for your garden.

terricheney said...

Love it! I am joining in this week. Come visit and see my 'Make Do and Mend' project in progress...

Brigitte said...

Very lovely, this old-new garden rack. I love the things you put on it. A wonderful decoration.

Tammy said...

I love this, Heidi! Your garden is going to be such a lovely place to relax and enjoy nature.

Susan in SC said...

Job well done Jos! I love how you decorated it Heidi!!

DonnaTN said...

It looks great put back together and with the weathered shelves. If you wanted to buy something so cute, I bet you'd have to pay a lot of money!

Ginny said...

Hooray for Jos! He did a fantastic job and the plant rack looks wonderful in your garden.

Sonja said...

Compliment voor Jos! En jou, voor de inspiratie denk ik?