"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Friday, December 18, 2009

Welcome to Christmas Village

Welcome to Christmas Village. This tiny town shows up only once a year in December. There is always snow. If you peek in a window and look closely, you will find a mother baking a kugelhopf.

Sister Charity arrives just in time to hear the carol singers entertaining Mrs. Potts. What is it about a carol that makes your own heart sing?

The schoolmaster has decided to allow the children to have the afternoon off to enjoy the bright winter air. The children have great fun sledding and playing in the freshly fallen snow.

Mr. Brownlow has just put his Christmas tree in a wheelbarrow to carry it home. He cannot wait to show Mrs. Brownlow how beautiful it is and commence the decorating.

Sarah is out taking in the fresh air with her sweet little lamb Snowflake. They pause to listen to a cardinal sing a winter song to them.

Thomas and Luke have lost all track of time as they have fun throwing snowballs.

Mr. and Mrs. Winston stop to look at the announcement for the ballet that is coming to the village. How exciting ... The Nutcracker! In the meantime, Mr. Rocester is busy seeing to the yule logs for the upcoming Christmas celebration.

The advent of Christmas is a buzzing time in this tiny village. All the villagers are out and about as this magical village will disappear again in a few short weeks.

A note to those of you new to my blogs...This little village was made especially for me by my mother and sister. It was made as close as possible to the village my mother made when we were children. I loved our village and later she made me one of my own. Each year, I think I love it even more. Thank you mother!!!

If you put on your speakers, you can hear the little song my sister used to sing. She learned it at school and my mother and I have memories of her singing it each year.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Splendide!!!!
hugs
françoise

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

How beautiful! And with such a lovely story. I love Christmas Villages.

How marvelous that it was hand made! How talented your mother/sister must be.

Susan in SC said...

What a sweet little village. I know you treasure it very much!!

Caroline said...

I love a good Christmas village and yours has a story to it as well, just gorgeous.
How clever of your mother and sister to make it for you.
Hope you are enjoying the Christmas spirit ( see what I am doing there?) and are having a bit of a relaxing time after all your health scares this year.
The envelope arrived and they are lovely! I will use them in a post tomorrow.

Good night,

Caroline

hazel c UK said...

Try try try again and I have made it Heidi. Your Christmas village is magical and I loved the story, I know it brings back so many memories of Fawn whenyou get it out each year.
The little people's faces are lovely.
Thank you for sharing.
Hugs, Hazel

Nancy said...

Okay, you almost made me cry. I cannot believe you found that song. I never heard it except when Fawn sang it. I have to tell Kristy and Mandie to listen to it. I never named any of the people who live in my town. I bet they are not happy with me at all. I had lots of fun painting villages. Marlene in England told me hers is out too. I made one for someone once and never saw it again. Oh well, guess it means more to our family. I will be listening to that song everyday. I know you hunted for it last year too. I sure do love you bunches, but you already know that.
Hugs and kisses, Mom

angelasweby said...

Heidi,
Your village is a wonderful miniature parallel world that we have the joy of seeing fleetingly, just once a year. For a brief few weeks our vision widens with the wonder of Christmas and we can suddenly see it and share in the excitement as it's happy folk prepare for Christmas. But, as the magic of Christmas fades away, so our vision begins to narrow and this wonderful little village disappears from view. It is still there continuing it's everyday existence but no longer visible to us until next year :>)
Thank you for letting us share in the magic of it. I know how much you treasure it for it's meaning and it's memories. The song brought tears to my eyes :>)
Warm wishes to you and all your family.
Hugs Angela

Marsha said...

I love Christmas Villages. How wonderful that it was made by your Mother. Even more special.

Linda said...

Heidi, your village is magicial and so special for many reasons. I love these little villages, they are one of my favorite things at Christmas. hugs, Linda

Joni said...

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful Christmas village. I loved reading about the people going about their preparations for the season. And finding that song must have been so extra special for you and Nancy.

You rock, Heidi!!

Brigitte said...

What a precious treasure to bring out for the Christmas time. I can hardly believe that it's hand made, it's so beautiful. And it must be full of wonderful memories for you.

Carolien said...

How lovely again, Heidi! And such sweet memories, I bet. It looks great!

Have a nice weekend & hugs,
Carolien

Nancy said...

What loving and special memories this Christmas Village brings to you.I know it must make you feel as if your mother and sister were right there with you sharing the Christmas holiday.Thanks for sharing this with us!I noticed that you have enjoyed some Betty Neels books.I also like this author:)
Merry Christmas Heidi!
Nancy(CHL)

Anonymous said...

Gramma told me to come see your blog about your village and listen to the song mom used to sing when she was little :) What a cute song! I have been pretty homesick this year and I've been trying to do things like we do at home so I can feel more like I am there. Miss you TONS!!!!

Love,
Lynn #2, and Zoe Pickle!

Simple Home said...

I love your little village and the story that went along with it. I don't remember that song, and I've sang in lots of Christmas musicals, so I'm surprised I don't know it. It's wonderful.
Blessings,
Marcia

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I can hear her singing that. :) Thanks for making me smile today Aunt Heidi!!!

Tone said...

I just aaaaaaadore your xmas village!!! - I have waited for this for weeks!!!

A few stressed day at work now - write more later.....

Tone

kanishk said...

How marvelous that it was hand made! How talented your mother/sister must be.

Work from home India