"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Monday, May 28, 2012

Sisters!

Today has seen a great irony in our family. My Aunt Ruthie died this morning in Ohio. It is Memorial Day there. I find it a bittersweet thought that she passed away on this very day. She was 81 years old.


She has passed on to join her husband, my Uncle Ralph who went before her. They are seen together here in this photo.


But today is also sad for my mother who lost a sister. She lost her oldest sister a number of years ago but still had Ruthie. And Ruthie had her baby sister 'Rag Legs'. They had 9 years between them. This photo is was of them when my mother was a very little girl.


Back in 1995, I lost my only sister. I went afterwards to visit Ruthie with my mother. We sat talking about funny family stories and I loved watching the two sisters laughing together. I still have the picture of them becoming older together and feeling so sad that I would never become old with my own sister. I enjoyed this part of them. I have no recent photos of the two of them so here is a less distant blast from the past with my mother on the left and Aunt Ruthie on the right...


To all my cousins...
Look for your mom in your heart...she is there!

So to my mother...
I know how your heart feels today!

I like this quote from Emily Dickinson...
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness."


But I think this quote by an unknown author is very appropriate for our family...

"Sister to sister we will always be,
A couple of nuts off the family tree."   *wink*


Bye Ruthie Boothie...our pet name for my aunt!

22 comments:

Nancy said...

Okay, I have to admit you made me teary eyed there. I know my nieces and nephew would like to see this, I will tell them.
That was a very nice tribute and I did have a private talk with my sister two days ago and told her she would see our Fawn again.
Love you Heidi, Mom

Tammy said...

Heidi - My sympathies on the loss of your aunt. You wrote a lovely tribute to her.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It was a wonderful tribute. With each passing we tend to remember the ones who have gone before. My heart aches for you and your mom and family. Sister love-I'm told there is nothing stronger. Take care!

Jenny said...

My Dear Friend,
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your Aunt Ruthie. You have written a beautiful tribute to her. I loved the pictures that you posted and the memories that you kept alive through your words. Here is a hug for you from CA.

Mandie said...

Hi Aunt Heidi! What a lovely post in honor of Ruthie Boothie. I loved seeing all the old pictures again and I have to admit this made me teary eyed as well. I can only imagine what it will feel like for Kristy and I when our times come around. I do however know how her kids feel. It's a sad day indeed. It also makes my heart smile and hurt at the same time for my own girls who are 9 year apart as well.

A fond farewell to Ruthie today. She is now in peace.

Mandie

DebbieSFL said...

Heidi, I am sorry for your loss and especially for your Mother's loss. I have two sisters and cannot imagine losing them. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Betty Lou said...

My heart goes out to you and your mother, losing your sister is like losing a part of yourself. I lost mine sister (only sibling) in 1998. I will put you all in my prayers tonight.

RobinL said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt passing. But it sounds like you have wonderful memories of her. My sister is back in Michigan, and I don't see her nearly enough. Hope your spring is progressing finally, it is already full summer here early this year. So much in bloom in my garden!

Anonymous said...

Well said, Heidi. I will remember how fun-loving Ruthie always was at their family parties and holidays.
She lived a full and fun life.
Love Bull

Melanie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Aunt Ruthie, especially for your mom. My heart goes out to both of you.

Patty said...

Heidi, Thank you so much for the beautiful tribute to my mom. Loved the memories you wrote and have in your heart of her. I know she loved all her nieces and nephews and loved to laugh with them! Please keep us in your prayers. Love to you, Your cousin, Patty

Anonymous said...

The tribute was Beautful, death brings sad and happy memories of people who touch us in our lives. Not sure who wrote it but I love the words if tears could build a stairway I would walk to heaven and bring you home again!

Take care your adopted brother Mitch

onlymehere said...

What a beautiful tribute Heidi. So sorry to hear of your loss.

Anonymous said...

A lovely post. My only sister passed away in 2010 but we did have each other into our 70s. My sympathy to you, your mother, and Ruthie's family.
Lillian
lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. My sympathy to you, your mother and Ruthie's family.
Lillian
lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

Mac n' Janet said...

So sorry for you loss and your Mothers, it is so hard to lose a sibling.

Marsha said...

Your Aunt Ruthie sounded like a fun Aunt. I had a favorite fun Aunt that we all miss. Sorry to hear she passed. My sister and I live far apart and we miss each other terribly. I wish your mother and you warm and happy memories of both your sisters.

Saskia said...

Well, you got me crying....
You are always great putting the feelings into words!
All sisters and mom's will be missed,and are the glue that keeps family's together.
So sorry your aunt passed away.
Give your mother a big 'skype' hug!!

Rowan said...

I'm sorry for your loss, it's always hard to lose a member of your family. That's a wonderful photo of your aunt and uncle, they look so happy together.

Angela said...

Heidi my thoughts are with you and your family especially to Nancy. How sad to lose a part of yourself, someone who knows you inside out and outside in. What lovely photos of your aunt and mum together and such a romantic one of Aunt Ruthie and Uncle Ralph.
I can only imagine how you feel having lost your sister so young. I very nearly lost mine when she had her baby back in 1978 and I still tremble at the memories. Warm blessings to you and to your family.
Angela xx

Annie said...

I'm sorry for your aunt and for your mother too. I have no sister and 'd like a lot to had one.

Anonymous said...

Heidi, ons medeleven gaat naar jullie hele familie uit.
Wat heb je dit verlies weer mooi kunnen verwoorden en samen met de foto's is het een mooi eerbetoon geworden. Heel veel sterkte voor jullie en je familie in Amerika.
Liefs, Bep.