"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My advent tradition

Each year, I have an advent tradition. I love advent calenders but do not have one. But what I do have is a wonderful book by Jostein Gaarder called The Christmas Mystery. It is the story of a boy who goes out with his father to buy an advent calender. He finds one in a bookshop. It is a magic advent calender through which he follows a wonderful Christmas adventure leading him all the way to the nativity.


The book is divided into dates instead of chapters. I read each date as it arrives in December ending the book on December 24th. I never tire of reading this sweet story and it has become my own advent tradition.


These houses were too cute for me to leave behind when I visited a brocante shop this past summer. They were white but that is a color that does not look good in my living room. We painted them black and they work well now. I love using real candles which is what I liked about these house as you open the side and insert a candle. I also like the idea of having them out after the holidays too. Don't you also get a feeling that things are so empty and bare once your Christmas decorations are down? These will work nicely in the cold months of winter. In the meantime, I still have to start my Christmas decorating. Have you started?

16 comments:

Nancy said...

When you told me about your houses, I could not picture them painted black. They look great. They look like you could walk right in for a visit.
I cannot believe you don't have an advent calender. I thought about sending one to Zoe.
Hope you feel better today.
Love you, Mom

Marsha said...

What a wonderful little book. That will be fun to read every day. I will keep my eyes open for an advent calendar for you, nice and old fashioned like mine. The little houses are cheerful. I've only managed a wreath on my door so far. We're recovering from stomach flu.

Tracy said...

Love those little houses, Heidi...they are so sweet! That is a very good book--one to revisit each holiday season. Oh, and I just LOVE the new banner and festive look here. Happy Day, my friend :o) ((HUGS))

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

What a sweet book, and tradition! And the little houses are sweet too.

Yes, the house is so bare etc., when the Christmas decorations come down. Yes, yes, yes. Lovely idea to keep your little houses out, after other things are packed away.

^_^

Linda said...

I still love having an advent calender but this is a lovely book and a wonderful tradition you have. Are you reading your holiday books? I've started reading from my little Christmas collection, sometimes I just enjoy the pictures. I love visiting them each year...hugs, Linda

p.s. The little word I had to type in order to publish my comment was palin...I wonder if this is a sign I should buy her book:)?

Ginny said...

I agree - it does seem bare and lonely when the Christmas decorations are put away. Perhaps that's why I wait until I'm sick of them before take them down.

Elizabethd said...

I read it some years ago, and loved it, couldnt put it down!

Carolien said...

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for your good wishes!
What a nice tradition to read a book in Advent time. We burn our Advent candles and always grow an amaryllis as sign of 'something growing', ending in some splendid, big flowers. Must keep that book in mind ...
How is your dental problem? Less painful already? I hope so!

Higs & groetjes vanuit 'Zuid',
Carolien

Carolien said...

P.S. Die huisjes zijn schattig!

Groetjes!

Sonja said...

En zit je dan lekker in je schommelstoel te lezen? Hoop dat het lezen wat afleiding en wat rust heeft gegeven. Liefs Sonja

Linda said...

Heidi, I've been catching up and just read your previous post. No wonder you had so many problems and pain...I'm glad the tooth and the broken thingie have been removed. I hope you are feeling better and maybe able to eat something other then the baby food...but I know some of it is really good:)....hugs, Linda

Celestial Charms said...

The book sounds wonderful, such a nice tradition. I'm only half done with my decorating...and I haven't yet starting on baking anything. This year I promised myself that I will make the dough ahead of time for all my baking and just freeze it, until needed. I hope I can keep my promise!
Maureen

Tone said...

Hei Heidi!!
So nice that you read Jostein Gaarder.....he is noewegian!
Here december has arrived, baking cakes cleaning the house, making and buying presents.... - and finally I have got the answer from my work - yess...2010 will be a year off work!! - my god how I need that!

Have a nice day - hope your health it better...

Tone said...

...ps....loooking forward for you to show off the little christmas village again....

Anonymous said...

Hello Heidi,

I have never heard of this story, but I am going to add it to my list.

We bought our tree on Friday and I put the lights on it last night. I haven't had time to find the rest of the decorations yet, but hope to get it finished by the middle of the week.

Marie x

Susan in SC said...

I love your little houses and the book! Makes me want to spend Advent at your house! :-)