"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Modern day comfort food

Every once in a while, I will post an entry about comfort food. We most often think of comfort food as those age old, tried and tested, beloved dishes that our mothers and grandmothers made. But what about some modern day foods that still give us that effect? So I thought it would be fun to share a recipe with you of an old favorite in my house. I have recently rediscovered this recipe. Years ago, I made it often. I have a quilting friend that I get together with. Each time we switch houses, one time at my house and then at hers. I made this the last time she came over and she told me that she liked it better than regular pizza. So for Elly and all of you, here is my recipe for Mexican pizza with my Nigella Lawson moment using lots of photos. *grins*

I had to give you a little Mexican holiday touch to this entry with it being so close to Christmas so enjoy the music while you read my recipe.


Cut up a half red and half green pepper in thin slices.

Slice one spring onion. This is optional as the pizza is spicy enough without it. We just love spring onions.

Mix 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 olive oil and 3/4 cup milk. This is a very wet cornmeal dough. Spray a 11 x 7 inch baking pan and sprinkle with cornmeal. Using your fingers (also sprinkled with cornmeal) spread out the dough to edges. I like to round the dough up just a little to keep the topping on the pizza.

Place the dough in a 425F oven for about 10 minutes just to set the dough.

While the dough is baking, cook the peppers and spring onion just to soften.

Remove the dough and sprinkle just slightly with mild taco sauce and then a layer of grated cheese. You can use any cheeses you like. I often like to mix Cheddar with my cheese but this time I used old Dutch cheese. This is something you can do to your own taste.

Now add the rest of the jar of mild taco sauce and another layer of cheese.

Now top top with the peppers and spring onion and ripe (black) olives. I cut the olives in half first. Add yet one more layer of cheese. Remember this is comfort not diet food. *wink*

Bake in the 425F oven for a further 10 minutes until the cheese melts.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Carolien said...

That looks really good and tasty, Heidi!

Have a nice week & hugs, Carolien

Nancy said...

Okay, that looks really good. You can make that IF, I ever make it over there. Airlines are not very kind right now. Hope it was as good as it looks.
Love you, Mom

Elizabethd said...

Yummy!
Your Advent candles are so pretty, nice to see uncoloured ones!

Tracy said...

Pizza... that's a great comfort food. And love your take on Nigella's recipe...Delicious! I feel so hungry now... Happy Week, Heidi :o) ((HUGS))

Susan in SC said...

This sounds so good. I will leave the black olives off if you don't mind! :-)

Simple Home said...

That looks so yummy. My family loves pizza around here, and this one looks good. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog too.
Blessings,
Marcia

Andylynne said...

Sounds yummy, and you actully get a "pizza" crust. I can see how this could be comfort food. When I was growing up Tacos were the food of choice for my mom and I.

Anonymous said...

Yes it was delicious. Now I have the recipe I can make it myself and will give it a try in the Christmas Holidays. Groetjes
Elly

DonnaTN said...

The pizza looks great! I may try it for our next stitchy get together. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Winter is a great time for comfort food. I think we are making a super jumbo batch of chili tonight.

Joni said...

YUM!! Ok, I can't eat green or red peppers but everything else made my mouth water but I'm thinking maybe you were a tad bit skimpy with the cheese! LOL