...is well rewarded when a new project is well needed. And this one definitely was!
Our old gates, which were built by the previous owner of the cottage, were falling apart. The gate on the wooded side of the garden was so rotted through that you could not even open it any longer.
We priced gates. They were expensive and not even ones that we liked. We could have really nice oak or chestnut gates made but that really cost and arm and a leg. I think we still needed our arms and legs so we talked about making them ourselves. My husband is not into this kind of work so he was convincing himself he could not do it while I was convincing him otherwise. *grins*
He took Friday off work and we left for Cranberry Cottage early. After unpacking our things, we took a drive to a local sawmill and looked for wood. We showed the man there what our idea was. I had made a rough drawing of the gate as I wanted it to look. He helped us pick out the wood and sawed the lengths for us.
He even sold the bolts we needed so we were set to come home and start putting them together. I think Jos did a fabulous job.
We have to still put in some new posts here at the front gate but I am thrilled with our new look! He even put my "I'm In The Garden" on the new gate.
And the back gate is also in place and much more sturdy than the old ones. They fit in with the idea of this little house on the edge of the woods.