"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Monday, May 2, 2011

Make do and mend Mondays

Thank you all for your encouraging words about my last post and Jos' lay off. I had already been thinking lately about how much I, like most of us, have things in our home that we never use. I have been attempting to sort through things rooting out what I can try and sell. I think it is time to pass things on to another if I am not going to use them but hopefully make a little money back in the meantime. All this happened before we found out about Jos going to be laid off. So far, they have him still working but he is also very busy looking for a new position.


I love to re-purpose items. It is fun to see more in something than at first glance. But I also find it sad if I have family items that are tucked away in a drawer. When I saw this on a blog, I was inspired to start going that extra step to re-purpose. I want to use these items once again.

I also have discovered a show on Channel 4 called Make Do and Mend. I have only seen it twice now but it is wonderful. So I am going to have Make Do and Mend Mondays. Challenging myself to do just that. Maybe you will also be inspired. There are so many wonderful ideas out there is blogland. This print from Clare Owen (above) seems just the right way to start this new yet old tradition...

I took a dresser scarf which my mother stitched and ironed it...

Then pinned the end up in place and sewed three seams to create the two pockets...

Tucked in the end between my mattress and box spring (forgive the ugly blue of the box spring) and place my book in the large pocket and radio remote in the smaller pocket. I now can enjoy my mother's stitching every day...

Until next Monday, look around your home to make do and mend.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea Heidi. I certainly have lots of things hidden in drawers that I could reuse.

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way for Jos. Sorry to hear about his lay off. It can be stressful, but maybe God would like Jos to have a wee bit of a vacation.

blessings, jilly

Nancy said...

Oh my goodness, I forgot I ever made this for you. You made something very cute out of an old item. Good work Miss Heidi.
Love you, Mom

Annie said...

It's a gorgeous idea, Heidi !
As I'll move in a few weeks, I have to let go some furnitures and other items. First I found this difficult, but now I think they'll have "an other life" and I'm quite OK with that !
I hope your husband can found a new and interessing job very quickly !
Amitiés.

Elizabethd said...

Good idea Heidi. We have too many 'things' around the house, which could be better used, I think.

Carolien said...

Clever idea! And so nice to see.

I am sorry the DVD doesn't work! I'll ask my brother-in-law if it worked at his home. As you know I didn't check and just passed it on to you. It's a pity for now ...

Have a nice evening & hugs,
Carolien

Used-to-Bees said...

What a great idea! Good luck to Jos - hope something just perfect turns up.
x

Susan in SC said...

How clever!!!

Shortbread and Ginger said...

What a lovely idea! Great blog.
Liz

Sonja said...

He, wat een leuk idee om van iets 'ouds' iets nieuws te maken. En nog praktisch ook. Ben benieuwd wat deze speciale maandagen nog meer gaan opleveren.

Joanne said...

I love this, Heidi!! What a great idea and use for the stitched piece your mother made :)

Linda said...

You are beyond talented Heidi!

Linda in VA

terricheney said...

Love this feature...I shall have to link up to you on my blog but first I must find my 'repurpose' item. I think I'll be ready by next Monday and we'll get blogland going on this idea!

DonnaTN said...

Great idea! The only problem is that I would need about 6 pockets to hold all the books piled by my bed.

Unknown said...

I'm always happy to see these kinds of ideas. I'm not familiar with the Laura books you mentioned. I've never heard of them, do you have a title? I've only read what they call the Little House Books. I'll check out your quilting blog. Thanks. Linda

Ginny said...

I love bedside caddies. I made mine from several placemats, but yours is much prettier, not to mention the sentimental value. Sew clever!

Joni J said...

Beautiful Heidi
Joni CHL

Jantine said...

I don't know another comment then smart! Just love it! Will follow your monday mendings! If they are all so good as this one it will be very worthwhile ;-).