"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunshine yellows.....

Holland had a summer's day in the spring this weekend. Yesterday was just beautiful...sunshine and temperatures of 23C.

Jos and I had a trip across the border to Germany planned for Saturday morning. It is a favorite thing for us to do making a grocery shop run. We got a 3 or 4 of them buying things we love from there. We also bought some vegetables as they were much cheaper than in Holland.

We found these lunchtime mixed salads in the vegetable area marked down. They even had a little fork inside the salad bowl. A bottle of salad dressing, fresh rolls and a drink and we had a great lunch.

What better than to enjoy that sunshine eating our salads outdoors. We started back home and found a picnic table beside this lock on the Haren-Rütenbrock Kanal. For only a few euros, we had a wonderful lunch.

Then it was back to Cranberry Cottage to enjoy our own flowers. Lots of yellows in our garden at the moment. There are daffodils coming up through the grass...

The forsythia is showing off like tiny rays of sunshine...

The miniature daffodils are not as plentiful after a second long cold winter but are just now in bloom...

But there are other colors coming out in the garden such as the rose and blues of this lungwort...

The pinks of winter heather which was a surprise to see blooming as it was hit hard by the cold...

The winter white of the hellebores...

The bright blues of the dwarf periwinkel...

Or the browns of the delicious spice cookies called 'Drentse heideplaggen' as I sit with a hot cup of tea back home working on this blog entry. Life is full of color and that is good!

12 comments:

Nancy said...

I looked when we got home, and thought you forgot to post this. I decided to look again before getting offline.
Love the flowers, the daffys all over the yard have fond memories of you guys planting them. haha.
Lunch looks very good and I'm happy it was a warm day. I wish ours was. Not yet, but maybe it will come.
You two are grocery store nuts. I know you had fun going in and out.
Talk to you tomorrow.
Love Mom
PS: the cookie and tea look good minus the milk in the tea.

Nancy said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ON MONDAY AND MANY MANY MORE FOR THE TWO OF YOU.
Love Mom

Littlebit said...

Looks like I need to wish you Happy Anniversary, tomorrow! I will be bogged down with work, so I am wishing you a perfect day today! :)
Your spring flowers are absolutely beautiful!
Happy Spring!

onlymehere said...

Heidi: I can't even imagine the fun of taking a little day visit to another country for shopping and lunch! What a great day this must have been. The flowers are beautiful too. It snowed here today so it's a bit before we'll see flowers. Until we get our own I'll enjoy looking at yours! :)

Jenny said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I hope you have a special day! I think sometimes that I am supposed to live in Europe....just plan to cross the border to Germany and have a fun little outing, a nice lunch and then back to Holland! That sounds so much fun...how wonderful! My family came to America from Norway...I must have the Europeon gene somewhere ....grins....Hugs from Ca. my friend.

DonnaTN said...

It sounds like you had a lovely weekend. All the flowers at Cranberry Cottage are beautiful. I love daffodils.

Elizabethd said...

Heidi, there are some lovely things blooming in your area. Our daffodils have not been as prolific this Spring, I began to wonder if the mice had eaten the bulbs!
And a very Happy anniversary to you!

Annie said...

Yes, it's really a pleasure to go in another country, just to buy errands and to have dinner ! When I'm in Alsace, I can go to Germany and when I'm in the Alpes, I can go to Italy and in the afternoon being at home.
Happy Birthday Heidi and thanks for all these beautiful flowers !

Unknown said...

What fun. I'd love to be able to hop over to Germany and do some shopping. Your flowers are lovely. I use to have Forcithia (sp?) and it was always so bright and cheerful. We have a lot of flowering scrubs up here. I saw some lilac in my neighbors garden. Linda

Saskia said...

OOOh, you two had a shophop of my favorite stores! Your not the only grocery store nuts.... I'm already dreaming about my shopping at walmart next fall Whoohoo LOL
Happy Anniversary!
Knuffels

Kathy A. said...

Thanks for sharing such wonderful views.
Wishing you and Jos a very Happy Anniversary!

Melanie said...

Love all the cheerful flowers that are in bloom!