"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

It's Winter!

Yes...it is winter but all our snow has disappeared like a distant memory. But we have more months of winter ahead so who knows...


Regardless, each January I like to put out my winter decorations as soon as I put my Christmas ones away for another year. I set up my winter tree. I use white lit branches which I then hang handmade ornaments on.

There are mittens, scarfs and ice skates. I also have some icicles and little glass stars. Simple but it says winter.

More signs of winter?

Berries...

A pair of vintage wooden ice skates...

Vintage snowmen...

Vintage sled with an arrangement I made a couple of year ago. Child's mittens, snow covered pine branches and an even older pair of wooden ice skates...

Remember Murphy? He came back to visit during the week between Christmas and New Year. This is the heater we ordered for our living room. If you remember, there were pipes in this corner but no heater connected to them. When the previous owners had the studio and garage built on to the house, they removed it and we think put it in the studio. There was just no heat in the living room and it was cold. We had someone come measure how large of a heater we needed. We decided to order this one which is reminiscent of the old heaters from the 20s and 30s. It was sprayed in a color close to what we used for all the trim, windows and doors in the house and well worth the wait!

Unfortunately, we had to have the man come back three times as it kept leaking. Then the heating system itself started leaking. Oh my!

Finally, Jos decided to call a man to come look at the heating who we used in our previous home. More fun! He opened the heater and discovered that although there is a sticker with maintenance registration, it has never been cleaned or checked. It is not even that old (2004) but was in bad shape and needed three major parts replaced along with a very good cleaning. We had been hearing tiny explosions each morning in bed which was solved by fixing some bad parts. It was simple neglect and such a shame. I still keep thinking will we be finished finding surprises in this house?

22 comments:

Nancy said...

That is one very big heater. Hope it keeps you warm now that it is working.
It sure was cold in that living room.
I think you should be finished with things going wrong in that house. It is so nice, it is a shame it was so let go.
All of your winter look is really cute. Love the red mittens. Stay warm and cuddly now. A nice fire built in your fireplace will really be nice too.
It is freezing cold here and we are predicted more snow today and tomorrow. Yuk. Go away. I know, it has only begun.
Love you, Mom

onlymehere said...

Oh no, not again! I'm certainly grateful for my forced air heat now that I read about all your radiator troubles. Hopefully now this is fixed for good. That darn Murphy just knows what a sweetie you are and keeps coming back! You'll just need to get mean and put a circle of salt around your home like they say to do to keep witches away (learned that in Disney's "Hocus Pocus"), lol! Do you need me to send you a bunch of salt? Your decorating looks really cute too. :)
Me

Elizabethd said...

I can't believe it, Heidi. May this be the last visit of the awful Murphy.
Your Winter decorations are beautiful.

Jenny said...

Your winter decorations look so nice and cozy....I especially love the little red mittens, the snowmen and of course the vintage wooden skates. The skates remind me of Hans Brinker and you know how I treasure that story....lol...Your winter tree looks so pretty too...Your house is just so warm and inviting, and that is why Murphy is staying so long...he probably won't find another as comfortable...but he has overstayed his welcome and it is time, actually way past time, to move on.... I love your heater and hope it keeps you nice and toasty, my parents had a heater similar to that when I was little, and on cold mornings before I would get ready for school I would stand in front of it, in my little pink bathrobe...grins... and get all nice and warm. Enjoy your day my friend...hugs from CA.

Mad about Craft said...

I love the idea of decorating for 'winter'. It's always so bare in January and this is a good way round that.

Willy said...

Het is zeker nog winter en een fijne verwarming is niet overbodig.
Sfeervolle decoratie heb je nog in je huis, dan is het niet meteen zo kaal na Kerst.
Lieve groet

Kathy A. said...

Lovely, lovely winter decorating.
Oh don't those houses come with their share of surprises. I hope from here on in they are all good surprises.

KathyEllen said...

I am a "winter" kind of person...just love the snow! Your winter decorations are very special. I love changing my Christmas decorations for winter ones too, especially my "wintery" needlework.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your winter decorations are lovely. You really do have a talent for decorating,

So sorry to hear about your heating system troubles. But glad you discovered the problem as it could have been much more serious. Hope you're warm and toasty in your living room now.

Anne said...

I love your winter tree! It is stunning and beautiful all lit up! As a new member I wanted to say hello and that I love all things historical too: victorian, edwardian, and my favourite, elizabethan.

DonnaTN said...

We need to slam the door in Mr. Murphy's face! I leave up some snowmen for winter decorations too.

Deborah said...

Beautiful decorations! I have plenty of snow to share.

Jantine said...

Oh no, another disaster, I really hope it is over now!

Susan in SC said...

I love your winter decorations! Tell Murphy to go home!

Littlebit said...

Ooo, I just love your decorations and how cozy everything looks! You would never know there was a problem, as pretty as everything is looking. :)

hazel c UK said...

Love your winter decorations Heidi especially the ice skates. Glad you have the raditor sorted and I am sure Murphy will find somebody else to plague soon.

Keep warm
Hazel

Ginny said...

Your winter decorations are lovely and warm the heart. As for no snow, we had about 7" starting late yesterday and continuing today; the roads were nearly deserted when we went to the hospital for a doctor's appointment, which was good, because driving was bad. We are expecting another 1" - 4" overnight, then lake effect. If that's not enough, the weathermen are predicting another storm on Saturday, and more snow on Tuesday. Unfortunately, we have to brave the roads for another doctor's appointment on Tuesday, so we are hoping it doesn't amount to much. What a winter!! Oh, and it's cold. Wind chills in the single digits. May I send you some snow?

angelasweby said...

Heidi, I love the way you celebrate every part of each new season. Your winter displays are so pretty and brighten up even the dullest of days. Your white tree really is eye catching. All the handmade ornaments makes it unique. I especially love the little ice skates and have begun a little ice skate collection myself. I bought such a pretty little ice skates lace ornament when we were all together and visited that fantastic lace shop in Bruges and it's so delicate, it's like a snowflake.

The sledge and the vintage skates make such lovely display and the little red children''s mittens fit in perfectly. I love the little snowman with the umbrella too :>)

I'm so sorry you are still having teething problems in your new house. It's no fun at all being cold in this weather so I do hope you have finally managed to get all your heating problems ironed out.
Warm wishes. Angela xx

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Heidi! I hope that you are now nice and cosy and enjoying your new home.

Marie x

Tracy said...

Hi, Heidi! LOVE all your pretty, frosty & fun winter decorations--especially your all-white mini tree. I could do with something like that in our dining room during the winter, for we're missing the glow of the big Christmas tree. That IS a HUGE heater... Goodness you've had way more than your share of troubles with this new house and getting things sorted. Hope things settle for good soon so you can really enjoy the living there. Be keeping warm, safe & happy. :o) ((HUGS))

Linda said...

Heidi....all your Winter decorations look so pretty....I especially love, love, love the branches with all the little lights and what sweet ornaments...too lovely...hugs, Linda

Melanie said...

Oh, I absolutely love your winter tree! The photograph you are using for your blog header is gorgeous, too.