"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Monday, January 31, 2011

Combining interests.....

I love combining interests. I want to have 20 pairs of hands so I can do all the things I would like to accomplish. But alas...I have one pair of hands and so things sit until I can get to them.

I love to read. I never seem to find enough time to read all the books I would like to. This year, I decided I wanted to read more. Last time I checked there were still only 24 hours in a day but I pulled 10 books from one of my bookshelves to concentrate on this season. I am now on my fourth book so having done this really has helped me to read more.

I also have a number of quilts that are waiting in line to be hand quilted. I am setting goals for which ones and how many I will achieve this year. This little Irish Chain doll's quilt still needs a border sewn on before I can start to quilt it. I have been very undecided as to what more I want to do to it. For now, I have two other quilts that I am working on so there is time enough to make these desicions...

One thing I love to do is read books that have handwork as a central theme to them. Combined interests!

Wedding Ring by Emilie Richards was a wonderful read. Nancy and her daughter Tessa show up for the summer at Helen's (mother and grandmother) house after being alerted by a neighbor that all is not well. In the course of clearing out the house which is in a start of chaos due to Helen's hoarding, life stories and secrets come to light connected a the wedding ring quilt that Helen pieced and Nancy quilted. Tessa begins the restoration of the quilt while also watching the pieces of her and her families lives come back to life.

12 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

I love to read as well. Between that, knitting, quilting, and stitching (not to mention work) it's a challenge to get a whole lot of progress on my projects. I enjoy the time I get to spend on them though!

Elizabethd said...

I dont know that book, but may have to go over to Amazon and do a search!

Jantine said...

This writer is great, I have been reading as much of her books as I can get my hand on ;-)

Susan in SC said...

I like to listen to a book and handicraft at the same time. Although some times I get so caught up in the book that I forget what I am doing and will just stop! LOL! There are just too many things that I want to do and not enough time in the day!

Nancy said...

I pretty sure I read this book. I read so many, I have a hard time remembering.
The quilt is going to be cute as usual. Keep working, you'll do it all.
Love you, Mom

Jenny said...

Wedding Ring is one of my favorite stories and actually it is the story that led me to your stitching blog, and to a very special friend. At the end of the story, when everyone is at the quilt show, a Job's Trouble quilt was mentioned.....I had to look up the pattern so I googled it, and what showed up......All My Scattering Moments, and your beautiful handpieced Job's Troubles blocks. I love your Irish Chain doll quilt too. Sometimes combining interests, which I too love to do....grins.....brings something unexpected and beautiful into your life....Have a good day my friend....Hugs from CA. P.S. I anm reading the second book in this series now titled Endless Chain, and it is really good too.

Anonymous said...

This book looks inviting Heidi like you I love anything connected to craft of any kind.

Your quilt is pretty.

Hugs and Crosses,
Hazel C (UK)

Littlebit said...

I'm with you on things to do, Heidi, and the one constant is reading. I love a book with a beautiful cover! It always, always turns my head.

Your doll quilt is beautiful! Love the colors.

Annie said...

I think that setting goals is a good way to improve our life. I did like you and choose books to read but for one month. I try to do the same for my stiching and knitting. I'm so happy when Isee I did what I planned to do !

ahomespunyear said...

Sounds an interesting story. Reminds me of a book I had as a child titled 'The Patchwork Quilt'.

It was about a girl who was ill in bed and the quilt had been made by her grandma from remnants of dresses she'd worn as a child. Everyday the girl chose a patch and her grandma told her a story about one time when she'd worn that dress. My sister read the book to me when I was about 7 and ill in bed with measles.

Thank you for reminding me...happy memories.

DonnaTN said...

I can so relate to the dilemma of so many things I'd like to do and only a very few hours in the day in which to do them! Your doll quilt is so sweet and I can't wait to see it finished. I love books with story lines tied to handwork too.

Rhondi said...

I like to read too and have read several books by her too.