"Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest."
~ Henry Van Dyke

Friday, October 14, 2011

Red toadstools...amanita muscaria

Every year, we drive along the Compagnonsfeart in Friesland to see the red toadstools (amanita muscaria) growing along the tree lined banks of this canal. There were surprisingly few this year but still a couple to enjoy. There is something magical about these red toadstools with their white spots. It could make anyone believe in gnomes or elves. *grins*

The Elf and the Dormouse
by Oliver Herford, pub. 1919

NDER a toadstool crept a wee Elf,
Out of the rain to shelter himself.

Under the toadstool, sound asleep,
Sat a big Dormouse all in a heap.

Trembled the wee Elf, frightened and yet
Fearing to fly away lest he get wet.

To the next shelter--maybe a mile!
Sudden the wee Elf smiled a wee smile.

Tugged till the toadstool toppled in two.
Holding it over him, gaily he flew.

Soon he was safe home, dry as could be.
Soon woke the Dormouse--"Good gracious me!

"Where is my toadstool?" loud he lamented.
--And that's how umbrellas first were invented.



Do you believe???

Today was exactly 7 years ago that we got our keys to Cranberry Cottage. We have been here for the week and it is almost time to go back to the city. Neither Jos or I want to leave. *sigh*

13 comments:

Nancy said...

YES I SURE DO. I know gnomes and elves really do live and what beautiful homes the red topped toadstools are for them. Mine in the yard are just brown but I know the little guys are out there.
Love you, Mom

onlymehere said...

I never knew that there were really red toadstools! I learn so much from blogs. I bet these are truly beautiful to look at as you drive around. Hope you had a good vacation!

MoonBeam said...

I've see those in drawings, and recently in a stitched piece, but I'm not sure that I realized they were real. Thanks for sharing the pretty photos, and the cute poem.

Bobbi

Jenny said...

Now I know how umbrellas came to be. I love these red toadstools....something else to look for when I come to visit Holland :). We have many mushrooms this year in our yard and whenever I go to pick them out of the grass I always imagine a little country friend enjoying some shade and maybe a dry spot when it rains.... a little Beatrix Potter maybe? It sounds like you had a great week and I am so very glad. Hugs from CA.

Celestial Charms said...

I Believe! Such a magical place, and I too would be sad to depart. You still have your sweet memories, until you get back. :)
Have a wonderful weekend!
Maureen

DonnaTN said...

The toadstools are really beautiful. It is wonderful that you have been at your cottage for the week. Although it is sad that you must leave, you can look forward to your next visit.

Ginny said...

The only toadstools we see here are the little ugly tan ones that are barely worthy of kicking out of the ground. These are amazing. Thanks for the great pictures.

hazel c UK said...

After spending time at your little cottage I can well believe you not wanting to leave. If I was there it would be my permanet home.

The toadstools are beautiful, I saw some lovely fungi when I visited the gardens in Cornwall recently.

Hope all is well
Love Hazel C (UK)

Unknown said...

I wasn't really a believer until I had grandchildren, now I am.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I've never really thought that red toadstools were real. Beautiful!

Annie said...

I like a lot mushrooms and yours are so beautiful ! It's always difficult to return to every day life ! Courage !

Anonymous said...

It doesn't sound like there were enough for a fairy ring, but what a magical sight!

Have a lovely weekend Heidi.

Marie x

Rowan said...

What a lovey little poem! There have been lots of the beautiful red fly agaric round here this year, big ones too with plenty of room under them for both an elf and a dormouse:)